A whitening treatment is one of the fastest and easiest ways to improve your smile’s appearance. It’s especially appealing at our Clinton Township, MI office with our limited-time offer for a $100 rebate on a Zoom treatment. We know you’ll want to maintain your bright results as long as possible. Fortunately, it’s not too hard! Check out our suggestions to make teeth whitening last:
- Stop Smoking – The nicotine and tar in tobacco will turn your tooth enamel yellow over time. These stains are more difficult to remove than those caused by food and drink. So if you need another reason to quit smoking, make it a more beautiful smile. You’ll experience other dental benefits as well. Smokers are more prone to dry mouth, bad breath, tooth decay, and gum disease.
- Avoid Staining Substances – Dark-colored food and drink can stain teeth, including red wine, coffee, tea, soda, berries, and tomato sauce. When possible, drink dark liquids with a straw to minimize contact with your teeth. Rinse your mouth with water after consuming staining substances.
- Brush and Floss Daily – Good oral hygiene is the best way to keep your teeth in great shape. It also improves their appearance by removing surface stains. You can use a whitening toothpaste; we recommend finding one with the ADA Seal of Approval. You can make a homemade whitening paste by adding small amounts of hydrogen peroxide to a teaspoon or two of baking soda until you get a thick paste. Brush gently with it for two minutes, then eave it on your teeth for a few minutes before thoroughly rinsing. This paste is abrasive so don’t use it more than once a week.
- Don’t Brush Too Hard – You may think vigorous scrubbing is the best way to remove staining. But brushing too hard can cause enamel to wear away, making the yellow dentin inside your tooth visible. Discoloration caused by thin enamel can’t be corrected with whitening; it must be covered with veneers or another dental restoration. Always use a soft-bristled toothbrush and a gentle touch when brushing. An electric toothbrush may help you apply more even pressure.
- Drink Lots of Water – Water can help rinse away the bacteria that affect the appearance and overall condition of your teeth. Make sure you drink plenty of H2O, especially if you’re eating foods that can stain teeth.
At Dobry Dental, you can get an in-office whitening treatment for fast results or a take-home treatment for the convenience of anytime whitening. We’re also happy to help with dental cleanings and other ways to make teeth whitening last. Call us today at 586-210-6828.